EB-1 “Outstanding Researcher/Professor” Immigrant Visa

  • “In short, their professionalism and humanity were essential, especially for a case like mine which was highly complicated by having served as the Attorney General of Guatemala and suffering political persecution by the mafia of that country. Being a…”
    – Thelma Aldana, Politician, former President of the Supreme Court and former Attorney General of Guatemala
  • “The CCF’s decision constituted firm confirmation that the Red Notice against me had been issued by weak, provisional judges who executed arbitrary criminal proceedings against me in violation of my human rights. Ms. Grossman’s assistance, her utt…”
    – Gabriel Osio Zamora, Venezuelan Citizen
  • “Attorney Grossman’s keen understanding of my case, her dedication, and her knowledge of international law and INTERPOL procedure, ultimately led to a decision by INTERPOL in 2014, that all data against me failed to comply with Interpol’s rules. I…”
    – Dual Venezuelan and U.S. citizen and pediatric cardiologist/neonatologist
  • “I hired Grossman Young & Hammond and they took a deep dive into the facts of my case and helped me to identify the evidence needed to demonstrate how I had been wronged. They were able to request a review of my case with Interpol, presenting new evid…”
    – Anonymous

Outstanding professors and researchers are eligible for immigrant visas under the EB-1-2 classification and do not require PERM labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor. This category requires an offer of employment from:

(A) a U.S. university or institution of higher learning, offering the beneficiary:

(1) a tenured or tenure-track teaching position;

(2) a permanent research position; or

(B) a private employer with documented accomplishments and at least three persons in full-time research positions, offering the beneficiary a permanent research position.

Required Evidence to Support the “Outstanding Researcher/Professor” Immigrant Visa Petition

The foreign worker must have at least three years of experience teaching and/or in research in the field and be recognized internationally as outstanding in the academic field specified. Supporting evidence must consist of at least two of the following:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement;
  • Membership in associations in the field which require outstanding achievement of their members;
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the foreign worker's work in the academic field;
  • Evidence of participation as a judge of the work of others in the field;
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the field; or
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field.

This petition is filed on Form I-140 with the USCIS. Frequently, foreign workers applying for EB-1 status are eligible to file their personal application for a green card (I-485) concurrently with the I-140.

To speak with an immigration attorney about EB-1 visas for “outstanding researchers/professors”contact Grossman Young & Hammond.


“From day one, they have given me positive hope. . . . Rachel has worked very hard and I appreciate every effort of her with my heart.”
– Sana, Citizen of Pakistan, Asylee

Read More From Our Clients