TPS Para Venezolanos

EB-1 “Outstanding Researcher/Professor” Immigrant Visa

Outstanding professors and researchers are eligible for immigrant visas under the EB-1-2 classification and do not require PERM labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor. This category requires an offer of employment from:

(A) a U.S. university or institution of higher learning, offering the beneficiary:

(1) a tenured or tenure-track teaching position;

(2) a permanent research position; or

(B) a private employer with documented accomplishments and at least three persons in full-time research positions, offering the beneficiary a permanent research position.

Required Evidence to Support the “Outstanding Researcher/Professor” Immigrant Visa Petition

The foreign worker must have at least three years of experience teaching and/or in research in the field and be recognized internationally as outstanding in the academic field specified. Supporting evidence must consist of at least two of the following:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement;
  • Membership in associations in the field which require outstanding achievement of their members;
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the foreign worker's work in the academic field;
  • Evidence of participation as a judge of the work of others in the field;
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the field; or
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field.

This petition is filed on Form I-140 with the USCIS. Frequently, foreign workers applying for EB-1 status are eligible to file their personal application for a green card (I-485) concurrently with the I-140.

To speak with an immigration attorney about EB-1 visas for “outstanding researchers/professors”contact Grossman Young & Hammond.


“Becki Young represents us for all our visa immigration needs and we could not be happier with her performance. ... She is totally professional, committed and makes the process as seamless as possible.”
– Richard M. Delany, President and Managing Director, Old Edwards Inn and Spa

Read More From Our Clients