Supporting You on Your Path to U.S.

The path to U.S. citizenship can be daunting.  Whether you need help navigating the naturalization process or you have questions about derivative citizenship, our team of highly-ranked and experienced legal experts is ready to advocate on your behalf, taking the stress out of filing for naturalization. Together, we will identify your goals and develop a creative and effective strategy to help you achieve them.


Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) of the United States who have held this status for five years (or three years, if married to a U.S. citizen) are eligible to submit naturalization applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Applicants must prove that they are persons of “good moral character,” possess an understanding of U.S. history, exhibit proficiency in the English language, meet residency requirements, and are not disqualified due to certain criminal convictions. In some cases, applicants may be exempt from the English or civics requirements due to age or disability.

Spouses of U.S. citizens who are “regularly stationed abroad” in certain employment categories may be eligible for expedited naturalization under Section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), exempting them from the standard continuous residence and physical presence requirements. Permanent residents who are moving abroad to accompany their U.S. citizen spouse on an employment contract should be screened for eligibility for this important benefit. Our knowledgeable immigration attorneys specialize in assessing eligibility for naturalization and providing exceptional legal representation in complex naturalization cases (i.e., those that involve criminal convictions or other barriers to citizenship).

Derivative Citizenship

For a child to acquire citizenship at birth, the child’s parent(s) must have resided or been physically present in the United States for a designated period before the birth. Under current laws (those born on or after November 14, 1986), a child born abroad to one U.S. citizen and one foreign national must show that the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for five years (at least two of which were after the age of fourteen). It’s also possible for lawful permanent residents to become citizens through the derivation of citizenship. If you have questions about derivative citizen qualifications, contact our experienced and caring legal team today.


Under current immigration laws, United States citizens may be subject to denaturalization (revocation of citizenship) if they procured naturalization illegally, by concealing a material fact, or by willful misrepresentation. Denaturalization cases occur in federal court, wherein the government must present clear and unequivocal evidence that the defendant made false statements or obtained naturalization through fraudulent or illegal means. Denaturalization proceedings, although rare, are serious and stressful. Our attorneys are ready to defend your best interests and fight for your future, so get in touch with us as soon as possible to get started.

If you have questions about a U.S. citizenship matter, contact the highly skilled legal team at Grossman Young & Hammond by calling our Bethesda office at (240) 403-0913 or our Silver Spring office at (301) 917-6900 today.

Whether you need help navigating the naturalization process or you have questions about automatic derivative citizenship, our team of diverse and compassionate legal experts is ready to assist you.

Internationally recognized and ranked among the top law firms in the world.

site by LegalRev