Victims of Crimes

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

U.S. immigration law allows certain victims of criminal activity to obtain lawful immigration status if they help law enforcement investigate and/or prosecute the crime.

These categories include:

  • visas for Victims of Qualifying Criminal Activity (U Visa);
  • visas for Victims of Human Trafficking (T Visa); and
  • visas for persons who assist law enforcement in the investigation of crimes and terrorist activity (S Visa).

How we help: If you have been the victim of a particular crime, have been trafficked in the United States, or have inside information about certain criminal activity, our attorneys can assist with obtaining a U, T, or S visa, which may lead to lawful permanent residence. These visas may be available to undocumented foreign nationals who entered the United States as long as they can prove they have been or are likely to be helpful in the investigation and/or prosecution of qualifying criminal activity, among other eligibility factors.

Additionally, victims and survivors of domestic violence may be eligible to self-petition for immigration status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Victims of domestic violence who are the child, parent, or current/former spouse of a United States citizen or a permanent resident (green card holder) and are abused by their citizen or permanent resident family member may be eligible to apply for a green card themselves without needing the abuser to file for immigration benefits on their behalf.

For more information on VAWA, U-Visas, and T-Visas (Visa Options for Victims of Crime), read this brochure prepared by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Para obtener más información sobre las Opciones de Inmigración para las Víctimas de Delitos, haz clic aquí para obtener un folleto preparado por el Departamento de Seguridad Nacional.

犯罪受害者的簽證選擇欲了解更多信息, 請點擊這裡由國土安全部編寫了一本小冊子.

Более подробную информацию о визе вариантов для жертв преступлений, нажмите здесь для брошюры подготовленный Департаментом Национальной Безопаности

To speak with an immigration attorney about U.S. immigration for victims of crime contact Grossman Young & Hammond.

Internationally recognized and ranked among the top law firms in the world.

Subscribe to our Newsletter


site by LegalRev